Google adwords ads : Secrets of AdWords Marketing - Test, Track and Test Again
Adwords marketing is probably the fastest and simplest way of putting your product in front of customers who want to buy it. But of course it can also be the fastest and easiest way of losing your money.
A lot of books have been written about how to succeed with adwords. You may have read many of these and still not be succeeding. But there are some little-known techniques that can make the difference between success and failure.
So what are these little-known secrets of adwords marketing? They are to do with the way you test and track your ads and keywords.
- Use Google’s ad tracking code. This is one of the simplest secrets of adwords marketing. Yet the majority of adwords marketers don’t use it – or even know it’s there.
- Use the ad tracking code with each ad group (that is, each small group of keywords for which you write a different ad). You will find that some of your keywords are unprofitable even if you have researched them well. So don’t just research your keywords and leave them. You HAVE to track them.
- You are only allowed to put ad tracking code on a website of your own, not on a merchant’s website. If you are promoting an affiliate product, you can get round this by setting up a web page to collect leads, and putting the ad tracker code on it. Then you can see whether each keyword produces sales, or just leads. This is one of the best-kept secrets of adwords marketing
- When testing your ads, test two at a time. Google allows you to use two different ads for the same set of keywords so you can “split-test” them. When split-testing, make sure the ads differ in only a single aspect at a time – i.e. headline, first line second line, display URL. If they differ in more than one aspect at a time, you won’t know which is making the difference.
- When testing your headlines, include things like question versus command-statement, e.g. Does Your Website Sell? versus Make Your Website Sell!
- Also test out different ways of showing your display URL. You may be surprised to find what a difference it can make. For instance try www. bestsmellingroses.com versus www. BestSmellingRoses.com versus BestSmellingRoses.com (without the “www”).
You could be doing everything else right, and yet failing to carry out these simple tests could be keeping you from making a profit – or worse, causing you to lose money. These really are the secrets of adwords marketing that could make all the difference between joy and disappointment!